Colorado Springs DUI Defense Lawyer
Call (719) 722-3254 to work with a top-rated DUI lawyer!
Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a very serious offense that can lead to steep penalties. When you hire my firm, you will
work with a former prosecutor who has an exceptional track record in handling DUI defense cases in Colorado Springs. I have more than 15 years of experience in the legal field and will thoroughly review your DUI case to determine the best possible course of action.
About DUI Charges
Because of my history in criminal defense, I have a unique advantage in approaching your case. I can help you work to dismiss incriminating evidence and see your charges dropped in a broad spectrum of DUI-related charges.
My successful track record includes experience in the following:
Hiring the right Colorado Springs DUI lawyer can mean the difference between your freedom and jail time, fines and a driver's license suspension. For more information on your rights and how to defend your driving privileges, don't wait to contact me, Geoff Heim, Attorney, LLC.
Need answers for your DUI case? Visit our DUI Frequently Asked Questions!
Consequences of DUI in Colorado Springs
Colorado has been cracking down hard on drunk and drugged drivers. You could be arrested for DUI if you were "substantially incapable" of operating a vehicle after you consumed alcohol, drugs or prescription medications, or your blood alcohol concentration was at or above .08%.
The total costs of a first DUI conviction can reach $10,270. These penalties can include:
- Class I misdemeanor traffic offense on your record
- Loss of license or suspended driving privileges
- Mandatory ignition interlock device for up to 24 months
- Imprisonment ranging between 5 days to 1 year
- Probation regarding your driving privileges
- First conviction fine ranging between $600 and $1,000
- Alcohol education classes for up to 12 months ($150 to $1,000)
- Between 48 and 96 hours of community service
If you are convicted of your first DUI offense, you face a long road ahead. Your auto insurance premium may increase by around $3,000 and you could be forced to pay a host of other fees. Not only that, but you could potentially lose your job and your freedom. Penalties increase when facing multiple DUI offenses, underage offenses, or if there is a child in the car while driving under the influence.
DUI Defense Strategies for Your Case
If you've been arrested for DUI, you should learn about all of the defenses that may be available to you. By mounting a strong defense, we may be able to persuade the prosecution to reduce the charges, if not drop them altogether, thereby preventing the negative consequences of a DUI conviction. As a Colorado Springs DUI attorney, I understand the scientific and legal processes of a DUI case.
Some of the most common ways to challenge a DUI case, include:
- Was there probable cause for the traffic stop?
- Were the field sobriety tests conducting according to federal guidelines?
- Were your search and seizure rights violated?
- Does the evidence on the dash cam align with the officer's testimony?
- Were your Miranda warnings read?
- Was the breath testing equipment properly maintained or calibrated correctly?
- Was chemical evidence collected, analyzed and stored correctly?
- Did you have a medical condition that caused an invalid blood alcohol reading?
In many DUI cases, cross-examination of the arresting officer plays a big role, especially when I am able to demonstrate that the police officer's testimony conflicts with the evidence on the officer's own dash cam. If the officer describes you as slurring your speech and falling over drunk, but the video footage shows that you were acting completely normal and polite, this can poke some serious holes in the prosecution's case.
Secure the Legal Representation You Need
By choosing my firm, you choose a Colorado Springs DUI lawyer who understands Colorado's criminal justice system to such a degree that he has been entrusted to teach fellow attorneys and law enforcement officers about criminal procedures. With a working knowledge of DUI laws, I will defend you to the fullest extent of my abilities.
Complete an online case evaluation form or call my office to get started!
5 Things To Do If You Get a DUI
If I Failed a Breath Test, Will I Be Convicted of DUI?
How to Save Your License After a DUI Arrest in Colorado