More than 20 years of Aggressive Representation
START YOUR FIGHT BY TALKING TO ME
Getting a DUI can be a scary and overwhelming experience for anyone. However, it’s important to know that you do have options moving forward. In Colorado, there are specific steps you need to follow in order to get your license back. Additionally, if this isn’t your first DUI offense, the process can be more complex and difficult. In this blog post, we’ll cover the steps you need to take to get your license back after a DUI in Colorado, what happens if this isn’t your first offense, how it affects your insurance, and how an attorney can help you.
1. The first step in getting your license back after a DUI in Colorado is to complete a mandatory Alcohol Education and Treatment program. This program will consist of therapy and education sessions that will help you understand alcohol abuse and addiction, how to recognize triggers and avoid relapse, and how to make healthier choices. You will need to submit a certificate of completion to the Colorado DMV in order to begin the process of getting your license reinstated.
2. If this is your first offense, you will also need to install an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) in your vehicle. This device requires you to blow into a breathalyzer before you start your car. If there is any alcohol on your breath, the device will prevent your car from starting. You will need to keep the IID installed for at least 8 months before you can apply for reinstatement of your license.
3. If this is not your first DUI offense, the process is much more complicated. You will need to participate in additional Alcohol Education and Treatment programs, and your driver’s license will be revoked for a longer period of time. You may also need to attend a hearing with the DMV in order to plead your case for reinstatement of your license.
4. Getting a DUI can also have a significant impact on your insurance. Your insurance rates will likely go up, and some insurance companies may even refuse to insure you altogether. However, there are specific insurance companies that specialize in providing coverage for high-risk drivers. It’s important to do your research and shop around for the best rates.
5. Finally, it’s important to consider hiring an attorney to help you navigate the complicated process of getting your license back after a DUI. An experienced DUI attorney can help you understand your options, develop a strategy to present to the DMV, and potentially reduce the length of your license suspension.
Getting a DUI can be a difficult and frightening experience. However, it’s important to know that there are specific steps you can take to get your license back, even if this isn’t your first offense. By completing an Alcohol Education and Treatment program, installing an IID, and potentially hiring an attorney, you can begin the process of getting your life back on track. Additionally, it’s important to remember that your insurance rates may increase, but there are specific insurance companies that specialize in covering high-risk drivers. Don’t be afraid to reach out for help during this challenging time.
For more information on how Geoff Heim, Attorney, LLC can help you, contact Colorado Springs DUI/DWAI Defense Attorney law firm today! You can get started by completing a free case evaluation form now or call us at (719) 636-8955.
Don't Wait To Act!
Set Up A FREE Consultation
Disclaimer: The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.